- Teaching and Learning
- Faculty Quicklinks
- Student Quicklinks
- Application Support (Software)
- Adobe Connect
- CLC Software Requests
- G Suite for Education
- Kaltura Streaming Media
- SMART Notebook
- SMART Sync
- TurningPoint Cloud
- Virtual Learning Environments
- Classroom Technology (Hardware)
- Computer Learning Centers (CLCs)
- CLC Print Management
- About Us
- Partnerships: On Campus
- Center for Educational Research and Teaching Innovation
- Center for Technology Enhanced Learning
- Distance & Continuing Education
- Education Department
- Information Technology
- Missouri S&T Bookstore
- South Central Regional Professional Development Center
- Video Communications Center
- Writing Across the Curriculum Program
- Partnerships: UM System
- Partnerships: Vendors
- Partnerships: On Campus
- Information Technology
- Help Desk
- EdTech Connect (blog)
CANVAS - Resources for Students
The resources linked below are primarily for STUDENTS.
More comprehensive and specific information can be found in the following guides:
- Instructor Guide
- More Instructor Guides created by other institutions
- Student Guide
- More Student Guides created by other institutions
- Canvas Community
NOTE: Students will only see features in Canvas that have been enabled by the instructor for students to view. For instance, Canvas has a feature called "Collaborations," but if an instructor is not using that feature, it may not appear in the course menu on the left.
Resources for Students
The Announcements section will provide information about the course. Announcements can be configured to alert you via text message or email or some other method (e.g. social media) if an announcement has been posted, making it easy for you to stay up-to-date with events in the course.
- How do I view Announcements as a student?
- How can I get Announcements on Twitter?
- How can I get Announcements on my phone?
- How can I get Announcements through my email?
For students, Assignments includes any item in Canvas that will be graded. This can include quizzes, discussion threads, and online file submissions.
- What are Assignments for students?
- How do I view Assignments as a student?
- How do I submit an online Assignment?
- How do I know when I have turned my Assignment in?
- How will I know when my instructor has graded my Assignment?
The Calendar is one of the most useful features for students in Canvas. The Calendar will show ALL of your Assignements for ALL of your courses to help you plan and organize your study sessions. You can filter what items appear on the Calendar by course. You can even feed the Calendar into any other app that accepts iCal feeds (Google, Outlook, etc.).
- What is the Calendar for students?
- How do I view the Calendar?
- How do I filter my Calendar view by course?
- Where can I find the Calendar iCal feed?
- How do I subscribe to the Calendar Feed using Outlook?
- How do I subscribe to the Calendar feed using Google Calendar?
Instructors can use the Discussions feature to facilitate conversations between class participants (students and instructors). Instructors can grade discussions (useful for monitoring classroom participation). Discussion forums can even be created within student groups so that discussions are limited to members of the group.
- What are Discussions for students?
- How do I view Discussions as a student?
- How do I create a Discussion as a student?
- How do I reply to a Discussion as a student?
- How do I subscribe to a Discussion as a student?
Canvas allows you, as a student, to upload files to Canvas in a couple of different ways. You have a personal storage space (50 MB) that you can use for your files. You may (or may not, depending on the instructor) have the ability to view your Course Files for any given course. And you may (or may not, depending on the instructor) be able to view Group Files, which are files accessible by any members of a course group.
- How do I use Files as a student?
- Where are my personal Files as a student?
- Where are my course Files as a student?
- Where are my group Files as a student?
- How do I add a file to my personal Files?
The Grades section of a Canvas course is where you will find all of your grade information, naturally. For students, it is arguably the most important section of the course!
- How do I view my Grades?
- Why is an assignmend grayed out in my Grades?
- What do the icons on the Grades page represent?
- How do I view my Grades in a concluded course?
Modules are a way for instructors in Canvas to organize content. Students can then be guided through the content in a logical manner, reviewing material and completing assessments (quizzes, discussions, assignments, etc.) along the way. In some cases, modules may not be immediately available to you unless you complete a prerequisite module. This depends entirely on how the instructor can configured the Modules area in the course.
- What are Modules for students?
- How do I use Modules as a student?
- Why can't I access a Module as a student?
- What do the icons represent in Modules?
Pages are a collaborative tool inside of student groups that allows students to work together to create content.
- What are Pages for students?
- How do I view Pages as a student?
- How do I edit a course Page as a student?
- How do I create a new Page in my Group?
- How do I link to other Pages?
- How do I view the history of a Page in my Group?
As a student, you are entitled to view the other enrollments in your course. You can also see who is enrolled in any group in which you are participating.
- How do I use the People page as a student?
- What are Groups for students?
- How do I view all groups in my course as a student?
- Which Groups am I enrolled in as a student?
- How do I create a Student Group?
- How do I manage groups as a student group leader?
Every user in Canvas has the ability to customize their personal user profile and settings.
- What are my Profile and User Settings?
- How do I edit my Profile?
- How do I add a Profile Picture? - IMPORTANT: Canvas Admins reserve the right to remove images that are deemed "inappropriate."
- How do I change my User Settings?
- How do I set my Notification Preferences? - NOTE: Notification Preferences determine how you are notified when changes are made to your Canvas courses. Use this feature to your advantage!
Quizzes are one of the main assessment tools. "Quizzes" in Canvas encompasses both the short, traditional "quiz" as well as the longer "test." Quizzes can include a wide variety of question types and can be scored automatically for many question types (short answer and essay questions still require manual grading). As with all assessments, specific policies regarding grading are up to the instructor.
- What are Quizzes for students?
- How do I view Quizzes as a student?
- What do Quiz results look like in Canvas for students?
- How do I take a Quiz?
- How do I submit a Quiz?
- Can the instructor give my extra time or extra Quiz attempts?