CANVAS - Resources for Everyone
The resources linked below are suitable for ALL Canvas users—both instructors and students.
More comprehensive and specific information can be found in the following guides:
NOTE: The S&T implementation of Canvas only contains a subset of all of the possible features available in Canvas. It is up to each institution which features should be implemented (some features require additional costs while others simply aren't suitable for higher education as they are created for use in K-12 schools).
Resources for Everyone
Canvas has certain minimal computer system requirements in order for students and instructors to use it effectively. NOTE: Canvas is compatible with mobile devices (tablets and smart phones) through their mobile app.
There are two types of Navigation in Canvas: Course and Global. Course navigation describes how to get around inside of an individual course while Global navigation refers to how you navigate between your courses and groups.
Notification Preferences refers to the various ways in which you are notified when something changes in Canvas. You can receive a text message, an email, a Tweet, or any combination of these and more. Notifications can be configured to be sent whenever an assignment is created or completed, whenever an announcement is created, or whenever any other activity occurs in the course. Notifications can also be configured to be sent out ASAP, daily, weekly, or on a recurring schedule. Notifications are extremely flexible and can be tailored to individual user needs (for both students and instructors).
Canvas allows individuals (students and faculty) to customize their Canvas experience by modifying their own profile and user settings to suit their needs.
- What are my Profile and User Settings? NOTE: S&T reserves the right to restrict access to one or more of the available options.
- How do I edit my Profile?
- How do I change my User Settings?
- How do I add a Profile picture? IMPORTANT: S&T reserves the right to remove profile pictures deemed "inappropriate". Furthermore, anyone who posts an inappropriate picture will be prevented from uploading their own Profile image.
The rich content editor is one of the primary tools for adding content into Canvas. It is a simple, yet powerful, interface that allows users (students and instructors) to create Pages, add interactive content, and other rich media into a course.
The User Dashboard is what you will first see when you login to Canvas. The User Dashboard allows you to navigate to your different courses, update your personal information, and track any recent activity.
- What is the User Dashboard?
- How do I login to Canvas? NOTE: The S&T instance of Canvas can be reached by going to canvas.mst.edu or mst.instructure.com. Use your S&T userid and password to login.
- How do I logout of Canvas?